Sunday 26 April 2015

THE DUFF REVIEW

Author: Kody Keplinger
RRP: £6.99 
The Designated Ugly Fat Friend.
Whilst at first, I thought I wouldn't be keen on this book because of the title, it has now become one of my favorite books I've read so far.
Bianca Piper is the Duff, but she was completely unaware of this, until Wesley Rush tells her, and then she starts to wonder how she has never picked up on this before, people are always asking her about her best friends and never about herself, and she finally realizes why. I thought this book was going to make teenagers feel more negative about their appearance, but Bianca's character and personality I felt took over the book and led you away from the negative outlook, for the most part, which I was glad of. She is sarcastic and cynical, and can at times irritate you. However, I really connected with the character because she felt real and have a realistic view to how teenagers actually act. The film and the book have many differences, in the book she lives with her dad and her mum comes to visit now and again (spoiler!), so it is nice to see her relationship with her dad play out in front of you. I don't want to spoil the book too much but if you love sarcastic characters and super cute guys then this book is definitely for you! It is a fast read, Kody Keplingers writing style is great, it flows really easily and makes you not want to put the book down.

Will Bianca ever reverse Duff herself or will she carry the label forever? 
Please note: the book contains alcohol abuse in some chapters,cursive language throughout. Age rating would depend on how mature the individual is.

No comments:

Post a Comment